Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cairo Time

Whenever I think of Cairo, I find myself smiling to myself with a kind of sadness deep inside. It has been more than a year since I was last visited Egypt. Before Tahrir, and before Twitter. I don't know how it has changed now. But I do know that I left a piece of myself in Cairo.


Cairo is dusty and damp. The dust of the ages and the dampness of desire. Desire for love, companionship and sex.  As I landed at Cairo International Airport, it was crowded and clammy. Men everywhere offering everything and anything you could imagine. I had a connection to Alexandria some six hours later. I waited for my friend to come take me out for dinner. By the time he arrived, I had been told I was beautiful some 8 times. But you've never really heard that sentence enough times. Every now and then I feel like I want to pack up and move to Cairo. Watch Cairo Time the movie if you haven't done it already. Cairo is more than just the pyramids - it is a love affair with love and life.




No comments:

Post a Comment